Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Wanna be a Cowgirl!

I really regret not taking pictures of the little girl's room that I made all these pieces for. But it was really cute. The wall color is similar to what you see in the first picture, and color scheme in all the pieces were inspired by a bedding collection from Target, which unfortunately is no longer available.

Whenever I go to a craft store, one of the first things I do is rummage through the clearance aisle, which is where I found this little metal sign (unfinished). I think I paid about 35 cents for it. The client didn't ask for it, but she really liked it, and it was an easy little project.


This is a large canvas to hang over the bed. Very simple design. The most time consuming part of the entire project was hand painting all the paisley designs.


The boots were cut out of MDF (medium density fiberboard) that was left over after making the mirror frames.



I wish the quality of the pictures were better for these mirrors. I was really pleased with how they turned out, and the client was thrilled. If you attempt a project like this, make sure you use a strong bonding agent to adhere the mirrors to the MDF and use mirror clips for extra support - especially if it's something that will go in a child's room. The rope trim was purchased at a home improvement store and hot glued onto the edges. You definitely want to line the rope up exactly where it needs to go before you bust out the old glue gun. Once it's on there, it's on there!



This stool was sitting in the girl's closet. It was originally a different shade of pink and was in pretty sad shape. The designs were taken directly from the bedding. I love the rope as a decorative touch, but it also serves to reinforce the stability of the stool. The client handed the stool almost as an afterthought, asking if I could do anything with it. It's probably my favorite piece of the entire project. When painting furniture for kids, make sure to apply several coats of water based sealer. The water based is safer than traditional coatings, and it will preserve your hard work.

2 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

Adorable. Makes me want to say "YEE-HAW!"

You should post here more often...in your spare time.

Helen said...

Awesome!